Tuesday 2 October 2012

Caramelized Balsamic Red Onion Soup

I realised I have this thing for Balsamic Vinegar. I always thought it was a fancy, hoity-toity thing to eat olive oil, balsamic vinegar and bread. I didn't understand why people just ate bread and oily vinegar together. Then I had some one day, I was like 'my heavens this is some good shit'. But you have to have the right kind of bread for it. A nice dense french bread or even sourdough. Love sourdough! Anyway, finally bought a bottle of balsamic vinegar because I was craving it. So I started adding it to everything I cooked. Since I love onions and I love balsamic vinegar, why not make a balsamic onion soup? Have to warn you: you must only eat this in small portions, don't drink gallons of it like I did, because the vinegar starts getting a bit intoxicating after a while and you feel like you're on a Redbull high or something. It was awesomely yummy nonetheless. But you must control your gluttonous tendencies with this.

Your Challenge: cook summin' super-sonic balsamic!




 Ready---Steady---Cook!

Caramelized Balsamic Red Onion Soup
(Makes 4 servings)


INGREDIENTS:  
1/4 cups olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 large red onions, thinly sliced 
5 Mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch fresh Coriander, chopped 
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons salt 
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
2 tablespoons prepared mustard 
3 cups water 
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1 Chicken soup cube (Maggi) 


METHOD:  

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat for one minute. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and then add the butter. Once it melts, add the garlic, sliced onions and salt, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn golden brown, about 30 minutes.

2. Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and mustard, stir well, and cook for five minutes.

3. Pour in the 3 cups of water, and turn the heat to high. Add the Chicken soup cube, Mushrooms and Coriander and let it boil.

4. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

5. Season the soup with black pepper and, if needed, more salt. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a crouton. Serve immediately with cheesy bread. 


Challenge Accepted ???


Enjoy!

Tosakanth

No comments:

Post a Comment