Friday 5 October 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I realised I hadn't eaten a proper meal in a few days, the last time I ate a full meal was Monday dinner and today is Friday. Whoopsy daisies. Just been lazying around at home doing useless stuff online. Thus I decided to switched on my housewife mode today and started cooking and cleaning. lucky for you I documented what I cooked. Anyway, arranged the cupboards because it looked like a nuclear bomb had gone off in there. Also arranged the counter-top and got rid of the 5 different types of black tea and put it all in one compact variety box. Finished off/threw out all the tiny bits and pieces that were leftovers just lying around in massive boxes and cleaned out my baking cupboard and arranged them in a methodical order. I may be a bit OCD. I'm an utter mess when I'm just chillin', but when I start cleaning I clean till everything is neat, tidy, orderly and shiny. In that way I'm a meticulous perfectionist, but most of the time I'm just lazy. 

Back to the food. I was going to make Tomato and Basil soup, but realised we didn't have any basil left. So made a fusion french onion tomato coriander soup thingy. Then I remembered that I came across this Sweet and Sour chicken recipe online. I love sweet and sour. I think it's a Lankan thing, because if we go to any Chinese restaurant you have to order Sweet and Sour Prawns and you can never get the same flavour/taste anywhere else in the world. So I gave it a shot because I've always wanted to make it. The sauce was really good, not exactly like the Lankan version but I guess if you add some carrots and pineapples and a lot of artificial colours you could perfect it. 

Your Challenge: make some Sweet and Sour to make you miss mother Lanka.



 


Ready --- Steady --- Cook!

Sweet and  Sour Chicken

INGREDIENTS:


Chicken Breading:
3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
Sauce:
3/4 cups sugar
6 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
3 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

METHOD:
1. Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes.
2. Season with salt and pepper. 
3. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way and then into eggs.
4. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. 
5. Place in baking dish. 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 but 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9x13.

The Sauce:

1. Whisk all ingredients until smooth. 
2. Then pour evenly over chicken. 
3. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 160C for 15 minutes. turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.


Challenge Accepted???

Enjoy!

Tosakanth

No comments:

Post a Comment