Sunday 21 October 2012

Archa's Sago Pudding

This one goes out to my Grandma who is the bestest cook ever. I'm sure she's up in heaven cooking up a storm with all her new and old Bandas. If you ever had the honour of meeting my Grandma you would know what a cool chika she was. If you didn't have the pleasure of meeting the most awesomest lady, the following are a few fun facts about her.

She lived till 95. She's the oldest person I know. Custest Grandma. Bestest Grandma. The smallest person I know, like pocket sized. She's a de Silva who married another de Silva. She always won Avurudu Kumari. She was born on the 14th of April (Sinhalese & Tamil New Year) that made her automatically qualify for Avurudu Kumari I think. She knows P-language (that is the coolest). Her letters are the most interesting things you would ever read. You need a magnifying glass to read them though, because her handwriting was so small. She was a book worm - spent most days reading. She made the best Bombay Toast. Always had an ample supply of Orange Barley at home for us. She loved her sweets. She loved eating Banis and Monis Baby Rusks. She was the only one who could get me to eat fish and that was also only if she made it herself. Her stuffed Cuttlefish and meatloaf were out of this world. I only recently found out that she used to hide her crystal ornaments when I went to visit her as a kid because I was so naughty, I would break them by just even being around them (bit of a bull in a china shop I was). She was the only 95 year old that I know who had naturally black hair at that age (few white ones, but mostly black). She's been through a world war. Lived during the British colony. Stood in line for days to watch the royal wedding (Charles & Diana). Favours my dad way too much over my aunts. Never favoured one grandchild over the other though. Constantly worried about the whereabouts of her China. Loved to collect/use China. Has the best collection of Chimney Lamps. Got me hooked onto 4711 (perfume) because she had hundreds of them. Showed me that old people are cool. She was very very sneaky. More open minded than any other Lankan that I know. Always believed in me. Always proud of me no matter what I do. Always wanted me to be/do what makes me happy. Always said that people will talk, forget them and be who you are and be proud of it. Thanks for everything Archa. You were the best and I miss you dearly. 

R.I.P Archa
 
14 April 1917 ~ 08 June 2012

I decided to write this ode to Archa post because she used to make the bestest Sago pudding (Sau). It was a white version, not the brown one everyone makes and it was sooo good. She mixed a few fried Cashews in it too. I was craving sago pudding one day and wanted to make Archa's one just 'cause. It turned out super well. I mixed some other random stuff into it as usual, so it's not really Archa's one, mine turned out brownish because I added honey and cinnamon to it. But close enough. Next time I will stick to just sugar and it'll be Archa's white sago pudding.

Your challenge: This one's for you, Archa! Let's make her proud.


 




Ready --- Steady --- Cook!

Sago Pudding
(serves 4)

INGREDIENTS: 

200g Sago(Sau)/Tapioca
150ml thick coconut milk
50ml Milk
50ml Water
50g Sugar (add to taste)
2 tablespoons Honey
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
pinch of salt
15g cashew nuts (optional)
3 tablespoons butter (optional)


METHOD:

1. Wash sago and soak in water for about an hour.
2. Heat pan and add sago and bring to boil.
3. Stir continuously to avoid sago forms ticking to the pan. 
4. Add the milk and coconut milk to the sago and keep mixing
5. When sago starts cooking, the pearls become clear.
6. Add sugar, honey and cinnamon and keep mixing till most of the pearls are clear.
7. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
8. Add water if you want it to be thinner, add more coconut milk if you like the coconut taste.
9. In a separate pan heat the butter and lightly fry the cashew nuts. Mix the butter-cashew mixture into the sago. (the butter gives a beautiful flavour to it, you can add some extra butter if you like)

Note: you can add plums/currants if you like. You can either serve it hot or cold. You can also add a little coconut milk to garnish with some palm syrup before serving.


Challenge Accepted ???

Enjoy!

Tosakanth



No comments:

Post a Comment