Wednesday 29 August 2012

French Onion Soup

I have been telling my friend DashGlowPrincess to come over for dinner for a while so I can cook her an awesome romantic 3 course meal just for funzies. Eventually after much fuss and persuasion she finally decided to grace me with her presence. I cooked up an absolute storm that night, if I can say so my self.. so the romantic dinner menu included:

Starter: French Onion Soup with Cheesy Garlic Bread
Main: Cheese Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon with Crispy Herbed Baked Potatoes
Dessert: Cheesecake Brownie Swirl 

Just realised that 'CHEESE' may have been the theme for the night. I didn't plan that one out well enough I guess. Oh well. anyway, one can never have too much cheese. we had a great time. and the food was pretty delish too. win-win!

Your  challenge: Cook some soup and give me a hoot!




Ready --- Steady --- Cook

French Onion Soup

INGREDIENTS (serves 6)  

60g butter, chopped  
2 tablespoons olive oil  
6 (1kg) brown onions, thinly sliced  
2 teaspoons brown sugar  
2 tablespoons plain flour  
4 cups beef stock    
3 cloves of garlic, chopped 

METHOD:
    1. Heat butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat until sizzling. 
    2. Add garlic, onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 45 to 50 minutes or until onions are very soft. 
    3. Stir in sugar and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onions caramelise.
    4. Add flour to saucepan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. 
    5. Add stock and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavours to combine.
    6. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese, season with pepper and serve. 

    Challenge Accepted ???


    Enjoy!

    Tosakanth
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment