Friday 7 December 2012

Egg-less Coffee Cake

I was craving coffee cake for the last few days because now that classes have finished I don't get my coffee fix for the day anymore. Since I hadn't made anything for a while I decided to finally get off my arse and make something. However, I didn't have any eggs at home because de facto had finished them all. She's obsessed with eggs, she has one or two everyday I think, so we go through them like crazy. So I decided to make do and make an egg-less cake instead. It turned out really well. It was really soft, like a sponge cake, yet moist. There were no air bubbles in it like normal cake. So I'm assuming that's what eggs do to cakes, make them air bubbly. The batter was very watery so I was a little sceptical about how it would turn out but it turned out super. It's definitely a must try, specially if you don't have all the ingredients you would normally use for a cake. 

Your Challenge: egg-less cake just as a trial bake.


Ready ---  Steady --- Bake!

Egg-less Coffee Cake
(Serves 8)

INGREDIENTS

230g Self Raising Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
50g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
300g Granulated Sugar
240ml Vegetable Oil
4 Tablespoons Instant Coffee (dissolved in half a cup of hot water)
200ml Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
if using All Purpose Flour add:

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda

METHOD:
1. Preheat the oven to160°C.
2. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
3. Sift together the flour, (baking powder, baking soda), salt, cocoa and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
4. Make a well. Add the oil. coffee, milk and vanilla essence.
5. With an electric mixer, beat at medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour the batter evenly into both 9-inch cake pans. (or fill the 6 muffin cups halfway with batter and divide the remaining batter between both 8-inch pans).
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (Check the cupcakes after 15 minutes).
8. Let the cakes cool completely before removing them from the pans. 
9. Serve with coffee cream cheese frosting.

Challenge Accepted ??? 

Enjoy!

Tosakanth 

No comments:

Post a Comment